[dba-SQLServer] Fwd: Windows Secrets: The Sorry Tale of the (un)Secure Sockets Layer

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Sep 19 07:29:03 CDT 2011

Hi Mark

Same here. I think some have a paranoid approach to this.

We have two major (standard) protections here: A hardware firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.
For the last  many years I've come across one (1) incident where "something" tried to install something and MSE popped a message if I really wanted that. No thanks.
All machines including servers run with NAT and port forwarding where needed.
That is complemented with timely updates of Windows and Office.

One additional thing is done, however, and I can highly recommend that: Advertising filters on browsers. These cost a little yearly fee per client but the advantage is huge as banners and adds are removed which is a relief (which you have to experience to grasp) for the users and removes the risk of clicking some nasty banner add ("Your computer is at risk! Press here" and a full-stop sign).

Our VOIP server was hacked once and some Middle East uglies consumed our credit calling Arabic numbers. That was a loss of about USD 60. Not much work can be done for this, indeed as it seems our admin password had been cracked by brute force. Our splendid VOIP supplier changed the account and in half an hour we were back on-air with a longer password.

/gustav

>>> marklbreen at gmail.com 19-09-2011 12:24 >>>
Hello All,

there was a very interesting article recently, I cannot recall if it was in
MSDN magazine, Code magazine or HBR magazine.

Basically they did some financial analysis on the cost in the US of
implementing security, vs the cost of a loss.

What was not surprising to (to me anyway) was that the cost of implementing
security (at a macro level) is higher than the potential loss.

I adhere to this philosophy.  In my house I lock my doors at night, but a
robber can still get in if he really want to.  To make my house totally
secure would be to make it impractical and unpleasant to live in.  So I
balance security with practicalities.

With my IT security I try to adopt the same approach.  My brother is an IT
security professional, and he sometimes disagrees with me, but sometimes he
also acknowledges what I suggest.

Thanks
Mark