[dba-SQLServer] Does index field order matter?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 19 10:49:20 CDT 2011

I have three hash fields, person, family and address.  The hashes are a datatype VarBinary(200)  I
then inner join one table to the next on the hash person.

I have a cover index on just those three fields.  So the question is, if I am primarily joining on
let's say the person, does it help to have the person hash be the first column in the index?  Does
the order of the fields in the index make any difference to performance getting at the data?