[dba-SQLServer] [AccessD] MySQL

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 17:57:29 CDT 2011

Hi John,

Ok, sorry, when you mentioned Access I assumed that the db's were not too
big.

Can I throw a few things out, just in case they are useful for you?

1) I have been playing with Ubuntu recently and it is fun.
2) I successfully installed mySQL on Ubuntu over the weekend - I have more
testing to do but for your client, that's all free and it is good software.
3) Once you get your mySql server up, you can do all the rest of your work
in MS world, just use mySQL as your data store.  No reason not to use VS2010
as your FE and mySQL as your BE.

Do not be afraid of Ubuntu, it is not that difficult and weirdly, it is
satisfying in a way that Win 98, Millennium , Vista, Office 97, VS 2003
(need I go on) can never be.

Finally, I would adore to hear some results comparing your db between MS SQL
and mySQL

Mark