[dba-SQLServer] SSMS priority

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 19 18:43:26 CDT 2011

 > Your app and your automation of that work is really amazing.

Thanks Mark.  It is amazing and amazingly fun to do.  It is also very difficult.  I have a manager
and three different supervisor classes all running threads to perform all of the pieces so that
these records can be exported, processed through Accuzip (third party software) on a virtual
machine, and re-imported "in parallel".  Trying to synchronize all of that is difficult, and took a
lot of debugging to get working as well as I have.

That many threads all working at essentially the same task can be daunting especially when it comes
time to step through code.  Each thread gets a step, in rotation which is just confusing to watch /
step through!  It turns out you can stop threads manually to work around that but then if they are
supposed to be doing something...

But it is fun.

Until SQl Server blue screens and all of those threads lose contact with the server.  Incredibly we
are working through this scenario as well and causing the software to pick back up when SQl Server
comes back up.  But in the end, with software this complex there is always something to deal with.