[dba-SQLServer] [AccessD] MySQL

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Sep 21 16:32:00 CDT 2011

Hi John

In that case, run MySql on Windows. It works great, and underneath you have a platform you are familiar with - with RDP access, Active Directory, well-known tools, etc. I've given up on the Linux and Solaris server OS'es - you always "miss something" and it just doesn't pay off to spend the time necessary to learn these reaching a level where you feel you are in control. If you really need it, team up with a Linux guy who is not afraid of Windows.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 21-09-2011 12:27 >>>
Thanks for that Hans.

I have zero experience with Linux but my inclination is to recommend that to this client.  It just
makes sense for a vanilla server that is going to sit in the corner and run MySQL and be a file server.

The biggest problem is very simply that they and I have zero experience.  So there is that nagging
"what if something goes wrong" in the back of our heads.  We know Windows, we are comfortable in
Windows, we have tons of experience recognizing, categorizing and dealing with Windows problems.  It
just *feels like* if we have a problem, even a year down the road, we could spend a fortune learning
enough to figure out what is wrong and fixing it.

The other nagging, back of the head issue is, "how well does it play in an otherwise all windows
network.  And how well does the windows network play with it?