[dba-SQLServer] Database backups

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 11:02:52 CST 2012

John,
  This is a topic that I recommend a lot of research on, there is a great
article over on simple-talk about database balkups, this article covers
2005, but about the biggest difference between 2005 and 2008 is that the
WITH TRUNCATEONLY option has been removed.

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/backup-and-recovery/sql-server-2005-backups/

When in Full recovery mode, you would have 3 different backups depending on
the size of your database; so FULL backup, Differential, and Log backup.

To recover you recover the full backup, followed by the last differential,
and finally every log backup since the last differential

-Francisco
http://bit.ly/sqlthis   | Tsql and More...
<http://db.tt/JeXURAx>