[dba-SQLServer] What would you do?

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 08:16:17 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 14:43, jwcolby <jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:

>  1) This appears to be a standard SQL Server setup, i.e max memory is
> insane, all cores assigned to SQL Server, compression is not turned on and
> so forty.  Is there a reason not to compress the backup?

the only issue would be that if the backup process would choke the server.
 it depends on the hardware.

> 4) Once backed up what happens to that log file?  Does it automatically
> "empty"?

I'm assuming you're asking the list and that you are referring to the
transaction log.  and the answer is yes, it does empty, it empties all
completed checkpoints.  however the size of the file won't change.  If the
customer does not need up to the minute recoverability the recovery model
should be set to simple.

> 5) Would creating a clustered index on that "PK" help make things faster?

is the pk used for searches?

> 6) Many of the statistics group by the session ID.  Obviously indexing
> that and a few other key fields would speed up reporting but slow down
> creating these log records but would it slow it down enough to make any
> difference?  It seems unlikely to me but I don't have much experience in a
> situation like this.  What I do know is that once created these event
> records are apparently never modified.

depends on the hardware, if there are no updates and simply inserts, then
adding the index may be negligible.