[dba-SQLServer] Random autonumber ID

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jun 11 05:36:36 CDT 2012

Hi Arthur

Nope. He (the client) just picked random autonumber for the IDs because he somewhere had read that it had some advantages and - as we all know - the number should be meaningless.

So I think I will transfer the IDs as is and then see if I can change the field to straight SQL Server autonumbering.
Does anyone know what happens when SQL Server for a new record "meets" an ID that is already taken?

/gustav

>>> fuller.artful at gmail.com 08-06-12 17:20 >>>
Gustav,

IMO this is not the best method, and not even the second or third best
method. If for reason you or the client doesn't like AutoNumber, that's
cool. I have dealt with such unruly clients in the past (c.f. my missive on
long-lasting hardware) Back to the subject: if for some asinine reason, the
client doesn't like AutoNumber, then present her with the alternative,
GUID, which according to MS's statisticians, is guaranteed to work for the
next 70+ years. By which time I shall be dead, and therefore unavailable
 for post-midnight fixes. Sorry, but Arthur has left the building.

Which reminds me of a couple of websites I happened upon this week.

"Why can't we just get a Bong?" Marijuana party of Canadia. And the other
one I forget. LOL.