[dba-SQLServer] Index on view

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 15:50:36 CDT 2012

Hi John,

<snip>
> I try never to join on views, I have always found that to be terribly
slow.   I prefer to write one long SQL statement with nest joins.

According to my reading, when this happens, SQL Server simply extracts all
of the view metadata and builds up the equivalent of your "one long sql
statement with nested joins".  Of course there is the time required to
analyze and perform that sql statement build so it would be somewhat slower
on the front end.  One would expect the actual query execution to be the
same speed.
</snip>

really, that is good to hear, I always struggled with linking views, as you
say, maybe it was just because it was a lot of SQL anyway.

Thanks

Mark