[dba-SQLServer] Database backups

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 08:47:08 CST 2012

Stuart,
if he's stating incremental but means differential (as what sql server
provides) then you don't need every differential, just the last
differential backup.

In my environment the backup strategy that I setup I have this scenario, we
have a few 2 tb databases running around, their too big to backup nightly
so we do a monthly weekend full backup, followed by daily diff's until the
end of the month.  We also have 60% of log backup triggers setup so that we
have a re-occuring automatic log backup, to prevent log file fill ups.
This method has worked really well for us, and minimizes the number of log
backups that we need to deal with throughout the day when we test our
restores (yes we test, no use running a backup that you never test).

Our test restore databases to our development server where we have our
greenest dba push out a restore sequence.  Yes we have scripts that do
that, but they are suppose to know the process, so they run through at
least one manual restore process every quarter, and at least 3 scripted
restores throughout the month.  This has ensured that they can always
restore us no matter who is on shift.

-Francisco
http://bit.ly/sqlthis   | Tsql and More...
<http://db.tt/JeXURAx>