[dba-SQLServer] Remote ETL

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Oct 13 16:09:51 CDT 2013

 Hi Arthur --

Read the following KB article:

 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287932

it describes the process of communication of a client app (SSMS in your case) with remote MS SQL Server(s) over TCP/IP using WinSock.

FYI: I'm using SSMS here with my ASP.NET hosting provider (parking.ru) and my hosted  MS SQL Server databases connection strings are looking something like the following:

Data Source=myTestMsSql.corp.parking.ru;Initial Catalog=myDatabase;User ID=myUserName;Password=myPassword

or they could also be:

Data Source = 190.190.200.100,1433; Initial Catalog = myDataBase; User ID = myUsername; Password = myPassword;
Such a connection works well here even via mobile GSM modem.

BTW, AFAIK there are quite a few ASP.NET providers worldwide, which you can sign up for a free usually for two weeks trial period to test how SSMS remote connection will work for you. Thank you.

-- Shamil