[dba-SQLServer] sqlexpress upgrade

J- P jnatola at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 10:27:46 CST 2014

Hi all, this is a 2 parter

1.) I have a sqlexpress 2005 database on a 2003 server, as 2003 is nearing EOL (as is the hardware ) i *THINK* perhaps this may be a good time to upgrade the DB to a newer version ? (any thoughts/suggestions )

Assuming I do upgrade to 2008r2 express, is it better to install a fresh 2008express and do  a restore of the database via SSMS, or install 2005express restore the DB, then install 2008 and let the wizard do the upgrade?

2.) There are a bunch of mtc routines amongst other things I'd like to keep/migrate to the new server, is it possible to restore the master DB to the new machine? if so is this recommended/advised?

**This is a production server so upgrading to 2008express  on the live server is not an option**

TIA,