[dba-SQLServer] 2.45 billion rows and counting was PK Cast fails

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 16:22:54 CDT 2015

I'm just trying to get a feel for "how far done".

I know that two billion records was about Simmons record #70 (of 220),
but each simmons record has a different number of matching DB101 records
so that doesn't say a whole lot.

This thing is iterating the Simmons table in code, appending an entire
set of PKDB101 / PKSimmons records for each record in the Simmons
definition table (220 total such records) - typically tens of millions
DB101 PKs per Simmons record (PK).  I could just halt the stored
procedure but if it was very far into a given append it would have to
back out a lot of records before it finally stopped.

I figure it will finish sometime tonight.

John W. Colby