[dba-SQLServer] Schemas for separation of clients?

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 12:58:04 CDT 2015

Hello Gustav

I would not take this approach for a few reasons.

Before I start however, I see no technical reason why you cannot do it.  In
fact you could even keep one schema and just set permission s at dB table
level.  I only used multiple schemas one time and found it a pita.

1 reason is such complexity for small financial benefit.  You are going
against the normal use and it will be a struggle sooner or later.

2 security will sooner or later leak across the tables.  You goal is
segregation but you are putting everything in one dB and hoping nobody
makes a mistake in a year or two.

3 financially, the gain is not sufficient to justify the hoops you have to
jump through.  Unless the customer is paying pennies.  If the budget is so
low to force this approach then reconsider and use a cloud VM and install
SQL express and have separate dB's for everyone.

With aws and azure so cheap I would avoid the unconventional dB storage if
possible.

Hth

Mark