[dba-SQLServer] Looping through queries over and over

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:37:52 CDT 2015

Quite right, Francisco. I keep trying to figure out why people confuse OLTP
with OLAP databases, and ask the former to do what is obviously the purpose
of the latter. Add to this the emergent need to process massive amounts of
input, which OLTP cannot handle, and the creation of such products as
VoltDB, which can easily handle 50K TPS without even a hiccup, and now (not
that everyone needs that speed) the game has become three layers thick.
IMO, the NoSQL players are done, unless they totally change and revert to
SQL as their syntax. I think that VoltDB has proved this. I confess that I
am totally awestruck by VoltDB. Not everybody needs this instantaneous
performance, but those who do would be well advised to check it out.

That said, VoltDB is all about handling massive input in an ACID situation:
50K users buying stuff at once, or thousands of sensors pumping in many
measurements per second; or an organization such as TicketMaster which has
a very fixed number of tickets available for any given event; that sort of
thing. But I'm also seeing that in-memory databases can also play into SMBs
that do not require the horsepower that Amazon does. According to my
initial tests on a database about 7GB,, VoltDB is 10 times faster than
MS-SQL or MariaDB or Oracle.

A.

Francisco