[dba-SQLServer] Michael Stonebraker on the obsolescence of Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:52:17 CDT 2015

Jim,

Perhaps you missed a couple of key things, which were not described in that
brief interview but I've read all the docs.

First and foremost, you scale the number of servers and their RAM to suit
the db of interest. Second, the total RAM on all the servers is your
workspace. IOW. 8 servers each armed with 64GB of RAM = 8 * 64 = 512 GB
workspace. Not enough? Double up on the RAM on each server.

Second, partitioning. You partitiion on a particular column. No need to
describe the partitions in more detail, VoltDB takes care of that.
Partitioning also applies to indexes, of course, but here's an interesting
new (to me) idea: you can partition stored procedures as well. The
advantage of partitioned stored procedures is that everything that needs to
be there will be there within the partition. Not all tables need to be
partitioned, of course, for example lookup tables; with those you use
replication instead, placing a copy on each partition.

So think of a 1/2 TB database sitting in RAM: no disk accesses at all
except at startup and shutdown. And when you want to move the data from
VoldTB to a disk-based system for OLAP etc., you don't even have to shut it
down, just specify how often (in either transactions or temporal units) you
want to save to disk.

Even on my modest hardware, some of the sample programs are achieving 50k
TPS, which is a far cry from anything SQL or Oracle are capable of.

Arthur