[dba-SQLServer] dba-SQLServer Digest, Vol 147, Issue 1

David Lewis David at sierranevada.com
Sun Apr 24 11:00:48 CDT 2016

There is little information to go on without any monitoring tools.  That it seems to coincide with users making menu selections, suggests that there MAY be very ill-advised queries used to deliver a convenient human-consumable list.  The number of things to look out for are too many to list (query operators, that is).  Another item to consider is deadlocks -- if the same resources are being used (tables, etc.), and the queries are not well constructed, there is a good chance that there are page or row locks occurring, which will bring a db to its knees without intervention.

No simple answer to this.  Using access as a front end with sql express implies that the company is too cheap/ignorant to buy a monitoring tool.  As you say there is nobody inhouse with the skills to do it the hard way (using the wait stats etc. admin tools in sql server).

Message: 3