[dba-SQLServer] Remnants or not remnants? That is the question

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Tue Jul 26 19:48:15 CDT 2016

Hi Arthur,

" But I learned a lesson: one external drive is insufficient if you really want to CYA"...

I totally agree here - Indeed in addition to physical backups onsite, I use a cloud back up provider as well.  I have an unlimited storage account which I back up my work and personal PC's plus some family members stuff as well.

Turned out to be a valuable option.  Only this month, my sister stupidly managed to crypto lock my parents entire PC with malware. I got them to throw that one in the bin and I replaced the unit with a new one (luckily it was well past the end of it's lifecycle anyway) and downloaded all of their backed up data from the cloud to the new unit.  When they got their new one installed it was pretty much just as it was before - nice.

The crypto lock software works very fast and will lock up all drives it finds (including dropbox) but as there is no connection to the cloud backup those files were untouched.

The other advantage is the cloud backup happens automatically and without any user intervention.  For my parents and in-laws this is pretty much required as experience has taught me that doing manual backups is a step too far for them.  I have also installed some software which should prevent cryptolock from running in case in happens again!

The downside is it takes a while to upload and sync everything, so if you have on a crappy internet connection it might not work so well for you.  I set up it up back up every 48 hours for them, which cuts down the overhead.

Anyway... Worth considering.