[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server on Linux

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 14:30:24 CDT 2017

I keep trying to wrap my head around this, so far to no avail. Given that:

a) none of the largest players in the big-server marketplace use neither
Windows nor SQL Server;
b) on the next tier down (in terms of number of servers, users, etc.),
virtually all players are committed to Linux, and have been for years; not
only that, but they have also committed to (Choose one) MySQL, MariaDB or
PostGreSQL, with various NoSQL implementations here and there.
c) MS intends to charge $ for its Linux implementation; the aforementioned
competing products are available for free (of course, if you're going to
bet your firm on your database, then you'll be buying support on an annual
basis).

What market-share does this leave? I can think of some niches here and
there:

a ) a firm with a mix of Windows Server and Linux servers, trying to
rationalize and simplify the layout and consequent maintenance hassles and
costs;

b) a smallish firm, previously committed to Windows, whose IT people keep
touting Linux as providing superior servers; therein lie potential porting
opportunities, for both internal IT people and external consultants.

After these, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps I'm missing some Big Picture here.
If so, would someone on this list kindly clue me in?

Thanks,