[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server on Linux

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 19 22:55:42 CDT 2017

It is interesting to note that MS SQL can now be installed on Linux:

Check out the following; Installation guidance for SQL Server on Linux:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-setup

It take two lines of code to install the package on an Ubuntu/Debian server. (Ubuntu is my preferred distro)

sudo apt-get update  <-- Standard cleanup line before any new installations
sudo apt-get install mssql-server <-- ...and then just install and run.

...or the more modern syntax:
sudo apt update && sudo apt mssql-server

Note: Haven't tried yet maybe by Christmas and rest assured there will be extended issues. ;-)

Jim