[dba-Tech] Getting Nowhere Fast with IIS

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Thu Aug 21 11:53:14 CDT 2003

RE: [dba-Tech] Norton FirewallThe saga of rebuilding all my software setup
continues. Currently I can't make IIS work. http://localhost goes nowhere.
I've examined the IIS settings for default web site and can't see anything
amiss. I created a very simple page and put it in wwwroot. Do I have to
specifically name it as the default page? If so, how? I thought calling it
default.htm was enough.

Everything used to work before I nuked the disk and reformatted it and began
resinstalling everything. I have two boxes with similar setups, both running
winXP. On one of them, typing http://localhost brings up a page called
localstart.asp, which says that the web service is running but that I have
no default web page. On the other box, http://localhost just gives me Page
cannot be opened..

Any suggestions, people?
TIA