[dba-Tech] Security measures

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Aug 27 08:47:39 CDT 2003

Hi Arthur

This is a non-English language area. No domestic people address me in
English, and the sender address I didn't know.

The attached file was a pif file with a stupid filename which no one
would send me just like that - not even William would send me a
"w.i.c.k.e.d screensaver". Further, that e-mail didn't contain any
message except a small sentence and with no signature. Under those
circumstances you have to be plain stupid to run the attached file. I
don't use Outlook so it is safe for me to view any e-mail.

For fun I saved the attached file on my desktop for the AV scanner to
tell me which virus it contained. That was a surprise because it
didn't. And it took three hours before McAffee had a definition file
available ...

We know have changed our recommended policy for updating intervals of
AV signature definition files to one hour for servers and one day for
workstations.

/gustav