[dba-Tech] Security measures

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Aug 27 16:27:51 CDT 2003

John Bartow wrote:

> Steve,
> Welcome to the world of paranoia!
>
> My Main PC:
> Norton Internet Security - AV and Firewall w/auto update
> Pest Patrol, Spybot search and destroy - to detect and remove malware
> (adware, spyware, etc)
> iHateSpam for Outlook spam filtering (and assorted other goodies that make
 > life easier when using the big pig)
I've used iHateSpam, I've found that on some Dell's it just didn't work,
maybe some confilct w/ the drivers for Dell's or something.... in
anycase you can still get Good or just as good filtering w/ SpamBayes
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

<snip>
> Panda AV and Firewall (has caused me some grief on Win98) w/daily updates

Panda IMNSHO is just plain garbage, I've tried it and it's a large
product w/ not much benefit. When run together w/ another Antivirus
software I found that Panda would drop in a virus on my hdd then turn
around and say it found something (this was on the demo available on
their site) my friend would scan his pc w/ Norton and get nothing,
mcAfee get nothing, then run Panda, and find that Norton would spot a
virus (first) then it (Panda) would claim it found one... it was
something to do w/ their copy of virus online scanner.. that's garbage
to me.  I've even used their full version of the software and have just
not liked them.. I prefer Norton and McAfee before Panda.

> Gave up on McAfee - it always seemed to be the problem child of the mix.
> (I have dozens of NAV installations with clients because it seems to be the
> most easily understandable by non-techies. I'm not implying it's better than
> the others though.)
>
> Note that some of the free firewalls do not allow for home networking so you
> can't share files, printers, internet connection, etc. I believe zone alarm
> and maybe sygate are of this nature although I don't remember which one it
> was that I tried. You can by a "pro" version that allows for it though.
> Maybe someone else can answer that?

I use Sygate and have not tried home networking but you can allow IP's
to come through your firewall at your will by setting a filter and
that's w/ out the pro.  Pro has other neat features...

<snip>

--
-Francisco