[dba-Tech] Security measures

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Wed Aug 27 18:13:01 CDT 2003

You my friend should fly to Vegas... you're lucky beyond your own
limits!  buy some lotto tickets... gamble on the big game... go down to
the track.. do it now while you're still HOT! HOT! HOT!!!!

all joking aside, you may either
1) not be running updates as often as you think.
2) not setting the pc's to auto-update.
3) not running that much software as to find the problems from each
patch and hotfix.

back when I still had my win98 machine (AMD K6-3D) I used to religiously
update my system via the windows update, then they updated the program
so that you could update w/o sending any info to Microsoft.  This was
the beginning for me... I downloaded security patch after security patch
to find that my system eventually couldn't open IE w/o crashing... then
I had to use a 2ndary browser like netscape 4 just to get back on the web.

A co-worker of mine mentioned that he was on the windowsupdate bandwagon
that was until PRE SP4 was loaded on his machine and he began to get
wierd errors and eventually it affected his user profile.  now he's not
run a windows update since.. he loaded through SP2 for win2k, and all
the required hotfixes to keep his system secure but nothing runs through
the windowsupdate.  Even so much as recently there have been reports of
patches not working right like in winXP sp1 and it causing either
slowdowns or lockouts... etc.  you dont' have to take my word for it
just read the problems that creep  up continously on TechTV.com or
Woodyswatch.com or other web-zines...

--
-Francisco