[dba-Tech] Security measures - Windcows Updates

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 04:43:50 CDT 2003

If you go to www.microsoft.com/downloads you can find all the big downloads
there. Download them and save them onto a central pc/file server and share
them across the network. That's what I do at work... Got SP4, ie6 sp1,
directx9.0b etc... I only download the smaller updates and driver files on
individual pc's.

If you have a windows 2000 server (running the server edition of the
software), you might want to look into the SUS (System Updates Service) at
microsoft.com. I've been looking at implementing it here, but they seem
reluctant to give me a new server just to install updates. I might point out
how if I could have got all the lovsan patches on quicker, we might not have
lost a couple of days to repatching and virus scanning everything again :-)

Jon