[dba-Tech] Security measures

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Aug 28 12:03:42 CDT 2003

Steven W. Erbach wrote:

> Francisco,
>

>>>It's quite a bit
>
> easier this way cuz you can just take your corrupted OS dump the image
> on it placing you back before the patch was installed. <<
>
> And that's where I thought a cloned drive would be simpler yet. Granted, you
> don't have multiple image backups. But for ease of get-up-and-go, a cloned
> drive wins hands down, I'd say.
>
> Thanks for the extra details about OE. Very persuasive arguments.
>
> Regards,

you're right about saving time.. hands down you have very little
downtime.  (I keep a ghost bootable cd just to speed up my rebuild time
;o)).  The only issue I see, and it's really MS's fault for doing this,
is that when  you load win2k or XP for that matter, it collects a guid
representation of your hdd and stores it in the registry.  One time when
  I first ghosted w/ win2k I could not for the life of me figure out why
the loaded drive was reading 10gig and the backup drive was reading
40...  low and behold the problem was attributed to win2k reading this
guid and even tho the original drive was jumped as a slave, it became
the primary C:... very odd.  So to fix this you'd have to first go into
the registry and select HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\SYSTEM\MountedDevices and
delete the guid for the C: drive... then on a reboot you'll see that
they are recognized as jumped.

--
-Francisco