[dba-Tech] Monitor Resolution Issue

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Thu Dec 4 06:51:40 CST 2003

Hi All,

Situation:  user of WIN98 box, attempts to set monitor screen resolution
to 800 x 600.  For some reason, this monitor looks squiggly when that
selection is made, even though the monitor is SVGA and should easily
accept it - he clicks Yes in the message box asking if he wants to keep
the setting.  Now, the screen is fairly scrambled - vertical  rainbow
sort of effect - I think rather like the rolling of a TV screen when the
vertical and horizontal holds don't work right.  Waiting a few moments
for Windows to decide the setting is no good didn't help.  Rebooting
didn't help.  Is there a way one of you knows about to return the
resolution setting to one this monitor will accept?

I'm thinking about dragging a spare monitor that I know works at the 800
x 600 resolution, plugging that in, resetting the resolution, and
swapping back his old monitor.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tina