[dba-Tech] Help with moving files from one hard drive to another (Cross posted)

Gary Kjos garykjos at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 00:38:29 CST 2003

I'd hook them together via the NIC's. You may need a special crossover type
of cable or else a hub to connect the two systems, but either of those
should be pretty cheap. You will also need to put a share on the Win98
system to allow the WinXP system to see it's hard drive. Windows XP has a
nice wizard that will walk you through everything you need to do on that
side.

You also could just move the hard drive if they want to keep the entire
drive. You may need to set some jumpers on the drives - maybe. I just added
a new hard drive to my home system and found that the newer drives don't use
jumpers to designate primary or slave drive anymore, it just goes by the
position they are plugged into on the cable.  Still is dooable - just have
to determine what each of the two drives capabilities are as far as being
primary or slave and how to set them for that mode. If you google on the
type and model of drives, you will undoubtably find info on how to do it.

Dell has a pretty good section on their site telling you how to do it to
their systems step by step - with pictures and everything.

Gary Kjos
garykjos at hotmail.com