[dba-Tech] OT: SAProxy

jcolby at colbyconsulting.com jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jul 15 07:16:43 CDT 2003

Guys,

I have discovered a mail server proxy that allows you to locally (on your
desktop) apply spamassassin spam filtering to incoming email.  the idea is
that SAProxy sits between your email POP server and your email client.  The
email client (Outlook etc) then asks SAProxy for mail, which retrieves the
mail from the given email address.  SAProxy processes each email and applies
Spamassassin's rules to it.  It determines the email to be spam, it places
the text ***SPAM*** in the subject, allowing you to use a rule to filter
this email out to a spam inbox (or just delete it if you trust SAProxy
enough).

SpamAssassin is a VERY good spam filter which is used by an email server
that I get some email through.  In my experience it is virtually dead on,
although that could be simply because I get very little real email through
that server anyway.

So, I would like to use this SAProxy.  However the setup is not well
documented for Outlook, i.e. the instructions for doing it don't correctly
map to the actual controls I see in Outlook2K.  I managed to get the
filtering happening on incoming email but doing so broke outgoing email.

I'm wondering if anyone in the group uses SAProxy?  If so can you tell me
what to do to get it working with Outlook2K?

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com