[dba-Tech] XP Home security

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Thu Jul 17 19:55:46 CDT 2003

Drew,

>> You can set user accounts on a domain to be available during specific
times,
but I don't think you can do it with a stand alone Windows XP home machine.
You could write a little script that runs on boot, to determine if it's an
available time, or not, then have the script either close or shutdown the
machine if necessary. <<

Thanks for the reply. I found the syntax for the net send command and a way
to use it for this purpose, possibly:

NET USER [username [password | *] [options] [/DOMAIN]
NET USER username {password | *} /ADD [options] [/DOMAIN]
NET USER username [/DELETE] [/DOMAIN]

The suggestion I saw was:

net user username /times:M-F,5pm-9pm;Sa,6am-9pm;Su,6am-7pm

I'm going to give it a try on our XP Home system this evening.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits." - Mark Twain