[dba-Tech] Lost messages and settings

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Oct 22 17:09:39 CDT 2003

Drew,

No, I didn't log in as a different user, though your explanation of the
"roaming" profile got me wondering whether the registry has "roamed," too,
to the copy on drive D:. When I logged in yesterday and found that my OE
messages were missing, I put in my normal Novell password (which is the same
as my Windows 2000 password). But then the little dialog appeared asking for
the Windows password for the Administrator user. On Friday when I ran Norton
Ghost to clone the C: drive I had to log in as Aministrator because my
normal login is set to Power User. Thus I cloned the drive before I
installed Office XP Developer.

I've seen roaming profiles in action at a couple of my client sites...but
can this happen on a workstation? That is, the registry is normally on drive
C:, but since OE decided to look at the .dbx files on drive D:, I wonder if
the registry location was changed, too. Hmmm. How could that happen?

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

"Bureaucrats count the day as wasted in which they have not, in the name of
adherence to rules, blighted a life."
- Jerry Pournelle