[dba-Tech] I don't know what I don't know from where issendingmessages usingmy e-mail address...

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Mon Sep 8 13:14:08 CDT 2003

Very common with the MSBlast and SoBig viruses, because they use their own
SMTP server.  The To and From fields for the email are completely random, so
it can very easy seem like 'you' are sending out an email.  However, if you
look at the header of the email, that will tell you who is actually sending
them (and it usually isn't the same domain as the person in the To box,
though that can happen sometimes).

The problem is, many people have the 'Alert sender of virus' option turned
on, on their systems.  So when their virus protection software finds a
virus, it sends an email back to the 'sender' that they just sent a virus
out.  However, the virus software just goes off of the From field (which is
extremely easy to spoof), not where the email actually originated.  That is
how you got that email (I was getting a few a day last week.

Drew