[dba-Tech] OT - Guiness World Record Search

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 19 18:10:29 CDT 2003

Arthur,

15 minutes would perhaps be realistic with meditation techniques used to
slow down the body's metabolism.  I know that yoga people can slow down
their breathing but a huge factor by slowing down their heartbeat.  I would
search under meditation / metabolism.  That kind of thing.

Without doing that, I'm guessing the longest that a normal well conditioned
person can hold their breath is somewhere around 4 minutes.  I do know there
are contests (in which people occasionally die) to see who can dive the
deepest without air packs, the key being being in good shape and ability to
hold your breath for long periods of time.  However in these cases (AFAIK)
the divers are not attempting to slow down their metabolism.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_693561.html

for a free dive record story - 160 meters / 3 minutes 35 seconds

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com