[dba-Tech] Reinstall OE

John B. john at winhaven.net
Fri Sep 26 14:54:09 CDT 2003

Stuart:
I didn't see that you mentioned that. Oh well, it is "supposed" to be there.
It intially gets installed as a windows componenet and updated whenever you
update Internet Explorer - and also there are a few OE patches that update
it seperately.

I don't know if this will help (as I've only used for the Add/Remove list
not the Windows Components list) but you might try viewing the sysoc.inf
file to see if it has been marked as hidden.

Add and remove optional features of Windows XP

In Windows 2000 and Windows XP, for some reason, Microsoft has removed the
ability to specify which Windows components you want to install during
interactive setup, and when you go into Add/Remove Windows Components in the
Control Panel, you still don't have the full list of applications and
applets you can add and remove. To expand the list of applications you can
remove from Windows XP after installation, navigate to \WINDOWS//inf and
open the "sysoc.inf" file. This file will resemble the following:

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
DriverVer=06/26/2001,5.1.2505.0

[Components]
Display=desk.cpl,DisplayOcSetupProc,,7
Fax=fxsocm.dll,FaxOcmSetupProc,fxsocm.inf,,7
NetOC=netoc.dll,NetOcSetupProc,netoc.inf,,7
ims=imsinsnt.dll,OcEntry,ims.inf,,7
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

The entries that include the text hide or HIDE will not show up in
Add/Remove Windows Components by default. To fix this, do a global search
and replace for ",hide" and change each instance of this to "," (a comma).
Then, save the file, relaunch Add/Remove Windows Components and tweak the
installed applications to your heart's content.

Otherwise if the IE repair doesn't fix it I'm stumped.

Best of luck,
John B.