[dba-Tech] win 2k problem

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Apr 8 11:30:52 CDT 2004

sysprep is used for cloning on a regular basis, but it also does much
much more... THE CRITICAL problem with your "friends" upgrade was that
he simply moved the Hard drives to the new pc.  The Windows 2000
information on the hard disk relates to the OLD pc not the new one, so
things like motherboard drivers are blind now... OF course it won't
boot... The only way to get away with what you friend did, is to have
exactly the same hardware on 2 pc's then you can swap the hdd's all day
and both systems will boot w/o a problem.

otherwise what he can do is "REINSTALL" windows 2k on the new pc under a
new folder of coures. not to mention that doing it this way will require
a re-install of all his software...

--
-Francisco