[dba-Tech] On Odious Code

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Aug 3 05:19:15 CDT 2004

Does anyone but me find this syntax odious? (Lifted from a .NET example)

      If m_Enter IsNot Nothing Then
        m_Enter.Invoke(sender, e)
      End If

What is this "IsNot Nothing" crap? Have we descended to those languages
in which any negative requires a pairing (i.e. as in French, ne <verb>
pas)? Why not test the positive case instead? I guess my time has past
and this syntax is now considered kewl. But it makes me hurl, just as
"to each their own" makes me hurl. I realize that language is a process
not a static object, but sheesh. "IsNot Nothing"? Come on! Even if we
want to preserve the negative attitude, can't we substitute "<>" for
IsNot?

I'm beginning to hate where programming is going.

A.