[dba-Tech] Registry question

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 02:16:05 CDT 2004

W2K as usual. I want to edit the registry to lock down some functionality
for a specific user on a machine. I feel, howeverr, that I'm in a tricky
situation. AFAIK I can only edit a user's settings whilst logged on as them
(i.e. via HKCU). So I have to make sure that that user can do a regedit. One
of the reg changes I want is to remove the Run from the Start Menu. I can do
that but once I do that how will I ever be able to get back in to change
that user's reg settings? By definition if they can't edit the registry then
neither can I when logged on as them. But neither can I edit HKCU for THEM
when logged on as ME. Any ideas?

-- Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk