[dba-Tech] Software Firewalls

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Dec 5 19:48:34 CST 2004

On 5 Dec 2004 at 17:58, Drew Wutka wrote:

> Ah, the monitoring outgoing.
>
> That is something my boss 'loves' about Zone Alarm.
>
> Want to know a secret?  Monitoring Outgoing is a waste of time.  If you want
> to do that with hardware, you just need to get a better router.

I beg to differ.

> Why would you really care what is going out?  If you use a spyware and virus
> protection system, nothing will go out without you knowing it anyways.

Wanna bet?  You'd be amazed at how many apps "phone home" for various
reasons.

Also, that's only true IF you don't get hit by a new spyware/trojan/virus
before your dat files are updated.

If everyone had a firewall that blocked outgoing Port 25 to everything
except the permitted email client, none of the current viruses that use
their own SMTP engines would get past first base.

> Besides, with a firewall in place, something going out, can't come back in.

Yes it can if the malware is exploiting one of the many holes in IE :-(

I want my firewall to tell me when IE or any other app tries to access the
Internet. You'd be surprised how many things do including some HP printer
software :-O

--
Stuart