[dba-Tech] Voice Recognition Software

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Feb 3 15:00:09 CST 2004

I haven't played with this stuff at all. So here is a question. I just
purchased one of my favorite movies of all time on DVD (Miller's Crossing,
by the Coen Brothers, probably my fave writer/director combination of all
time; this one starring Gabriel Byrne, Albert Finney and John Tarturro).

Question: assuming I install some sort of voice recognition software, then
play said DVD while activating said VR software, will it copy all the dialog
into a file? Or do I have to watch it scene by scene, hitting Pause
frequently while I catch up? Does the VR input have to come from a
microphone or can it come from any integrated device? Could it recognize
song lyrics? (I can imagine that would be VERY tough.) But at the moment I
don't care about song lyrics; I just want to memorize the entire script to
Miller's Crossing.

You's fancypants, allayas :-) (A quote from Scene 1, "Ethics", probably my
fave Scene One of all time, including Touch of Evil's famous border-crossing
Scene One).

Arthur

---