[dba-Tech] Computer Problems

Reische, Brenda L. blreische at mdh.org
Tue Feb 10 12:01:15 CST 2004

In-line preceded by ###:

My father-in-law's computer locked up, then refused to boot.  When turning
it on, i see drive activity, but the monitor light doesn't go from amber to
green, and there is no picture... ***Did you swap out the monitor?
### YES

i have swapped video cards, no difference.
i put new mboard & proc, old memory & video -- boots but locks up frequently
(5-10 minutes)

***Did you load the MB drivers from the mfg. CD?  If it uses the VIA
chipset,
you'll have to load the 4in1 drivers, among others.
### I did load the drivers from the CD

i put new mboard & proc, new memory & old video -- won't boot since the
video works with the new mboard/proc - i assume it is ok.  i thought the
lockups might be memory related, so i put memory from my working computer in
there, and it still locked.

***Is the mem from your working computer compatible w/the new MB?
### That was the reason we bought new memory - just to make sure.  It won't
even boot with the mem that the store salesman guaranteed was the right
stuff.

any ideas on where you would go next???

***I'd put everything back like it was and swap monitors, boot to safe mode
and see what you get, then start swapping out components one at a time.

### That is basically what I have done.  I cannot boot to safe mode from the
old MB/proc as it will not produce video at all.  The first thing I did was
swap monitors.  Then I swapped video cards.  Still nothing.  Pulled out each
thing one at a time, and left off to get it to boot.  No dice.  So I put in
a new mobo/proc and old vid/mem cards -- booted but locks.  With this
config, since it was at least booting, I swapped memory with mine - still
locks.  So then I put in new memory - won't boot.  Back to orig memory
(boots & locks).

So when I get home I'll try the WinXP repair option from that CD.  I can
also swap out the video card, but I don't think that it is the problem...

Thanks!

Donna