[dba-Tech] Win2k Server and RAID

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Feb 12 01:52:02 CST 2004

RAID 5 is slower writing than a plain disk.
It is advised not to use RAID 5 for databases files (SQL).

The reasons for this is that RAID 5 does not only have to write but also
calculate a parity bit each time you want to write. It's this
calculation that slows down the writing to the disk.
RAID 5 is also much slower when a disk of your set has crashed. For the
same reason. When one of your disks has crashed it neads to calculate
missing bit based on the parity bit each time you read.
This is the general rule. There are however WRITE-CACHE available for
hardware RAID controllers (as I have) but due to the fact this uses a
buffer (128MB READ, 128MB write in my case) I'm supose, but not sure,
some of that calculation delay if neutralized by the buffer. But again
also in this case RAID 1 would be far superior in writing speed.

So it is far better to put databases on to a mirrored disk set (RAID 1)
if you want redundancy.

The reason why SCSI is still far superior than ATA or SATA drive are
mainly these.
-No limit in the number of disks (as 4 in ATA or SATA)
-Simultaneous access of ALL disks (2 for ATA, don't really know for SATA
but I supose also 2)

So if you build a mirror with ATA you must pay attention the two disk
are on seperate controlers and are not in a master slave relation.
Master slave means that the OS can only access one disk at the time. So
if you create a mirror on two disks that are in master/slave your
mirrored writes will be done sequential and not parralel.. This will
dramaticaly slown down your writings.
Same thing creating a RAID 5 of 3 or 4 ATA disk. The OS only access 2
disks simulteneous, so you will get a drop in reading/writing.

HOWEVER.
There are companies that have RAID5 ATA/SATA controllers like adaptec.
I supose that hardware RAID controllers using ATA or SATA have solved
this issue.
Note that a hardware RAID solution is always far superior than a
software solution (altough I know 1 good advantage about software
mirror). A hardware RAID solution spoofs the Os on a hardware level
telling there is only one disk (example) and it should be considered
that way.
Meaning that the hardware controller probably solved the limitation in
some way.
But that I don't know.
I'm one of those guys that will probably never use ATA or SATA for a
server (unless a webserver with plenty memory).

On the other hand, I'm buying piece by piece for my home music computer
to have a RAID 5 with four 250GB SATA disk. I now have around 300GB of
music and video files on my disks and I'm getting pretty scared because
there no way I can backup this in a cheap way. AndI'm only half way
putting my music collection on disk!!! So four 250GB SATA drives in a
RAID 5 leaving me 750 GB would be nice....

Erwin