[dba-Tech] what's up with this?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Feb 17 16:41:25 CST 2004

On 17 Feb 2004 at 14:29, Rocky Smolin - Beach Access S wrote:

> Some one on this list will know, I'm sure:
>
> Occasionally I get a spam with a bunch of words at the bottom like this:
>
> beachhead suppressible strike burl sensitive gherkin hereunto regent pornographer chimera arturo observation prime cab carbone invitation consent thicket cemetery helium plummet downbeat limitate anything aye director buret ditty stereo coinage abusable
>
> Why?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know. (gherkin?)

More and more people are using Bayesian filtering such as Popfile or
K9 to trap spam. They are very effective and are  becoming quite
prevelant on mailsystems. As a result spammers are getting less and
less spam actually delivered to end users.

The list of words is designed to get past Bayesian filters by
1. adding to the count of "good" or "benign" words in a the
individual message and
2. eventually skewing  the databases.

(Incidentally, it's not working <g>)

--