[dba-Tech] RunDLL32

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Thu Jan 1 15:17:56 CST 2004

Well, duh, of course it can't be found as I deleted the program. But why does it RunDLL keep looking for it? I've had several phone conversations with Maurice at Ofoto, and they've done everything they could, and have finally determined that it is something in Windows itself, and they can't help me further. I must say that we tried a lot of things, and I agree that it is not them.

The underlying problem seems to be getting rid of one registry entry which refuses to go away.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
   Software
      Windows
         CurrentVersion
            Run
OfotoNow USB Detection C:\WINNT\System32\RunDLL32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Ofoto\OfotoNow\OFUSBS.DLL,WatchForConnection OfotoNow

I can delete that OfotoNow USB Detection entry, but it won't stay gone. Something seems to be telling regedit to put it right back. One possiblity that Ofoto suggested as the most likely culprit was ZoneAlarm, so that was uninstalled and (after appropriate reboots), we tried again to delete it. Still comes right back.

I've just been putting up with getting that error message then closing it, but it really is annoying. Any ideas?

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
kathryn at bassett.net