[dba-Tech] How do I unlock the Registry (was RunDLL32)

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 5 22:22:57 CST 2004

Maybe this is your problem. It might be another worm and not Swen..
double clicking on undo.reg from Mcaffee for this worm will start
regedit or maybe even a dummy text file created in notepad with a .reg
extension will start your regedit.

W32/Swen at MM modifies various registry keys and disables the execution of
REGEDIT.EXE on the victim's machine. Additionally, the worm terminates
various processes on the victim's machine. You may have removed the worm
but not all the side affects.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=helpCenter&hcName=swen&cid=9060

 the undo.reg file from mcafee may help if this virus was there.
Ensure that your virus definition DAT files are current. Detection is
included in the Daily DAT files (beta). W32/Swen at MM disables the
execution of REGEDIT.EXE. The UNDO.REG tool will reverse the changes
made by the virus and allow the user to execute REGEDIT.EXE as normal.
double clicking on undo.reg will start regedit. or maybe even a dummy
file created in notepad with a .reg extension.

There are also a number of driveby or hijack trojans from activex
downloads that turnoff regedit and/or msconfig in addition to grabbing
and modifying IE. Some of these are not tracked by Virus manufacturers.
The site below lists a lot of them and clearance methods.
generally they are contained in the 'Downloaded Program Files' folder in
the Windows folder. See if anything odd there and delete
and note the name completely or move file to another directory to
quarantine.

I just helped someone clear up the ILookup downloaded ActiveX version.
see
http://doxdesk.com/parasite/

--
Marty Connelly