[dba-Tech] Re: Do I Have a Virus?

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Fri Jan 9 10:20:20 CST 2004

Hi Rocky

Can't tell for sure.

This is a message from an SMTP server saying that the destination server is not available  and it will try again in x hours for x times.
This can be the case when a SMTP server at the destinator is down or his internet link or whatever....
It's a normal thing, if this is a temprorary thing (maximum a couple of days).

BUT!!!
If you or someone in your company never has send a mail to that person this could indicate another problem.

1) One of your computers is hacked/virussed and is beeing misused to send spam.
To solve this problem, find the hacked/virussed computer.
Or
2) Someone elses (someone outside your company network) computer is hacked/virussed and is using (spoofing) your e-mail address to send spam (that is commong technique today used by mnay virusses). In this case there is nothing you can do but wait until that person will find out his computer is beeing misused....

Erwin