[dba-Tech] OT: Compaq vs. Dell

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 14 11:03:45 CST 2004

...hhhmmm ...I wouldn't expect Dell to normally include malware in their
support ...personally I'd always run Spybot S&D and PestPatrol among other
diagnostics before calling any support point ...now the exception to that is
that I would expect Dell Support to be aware of any recent malware/virii
issues for which updates have not been released by Symantec/Spybot etc, and
warn me of them if my symptoms point in that direction.

...Dell driver and software updates have been consistently good and always
appear on the Win Update site at the same time Dell makes them available on
their own site which saves me a bit of time.

...based upon customer complaints, Dell has now moved all of its small
business/corporate support back to US based staff who actually speak English
and can deviate from a script ...my understanding is that HP/Compaq
continues to use their India based support but since I don't use them I
can't verify that.

...my real bitch with Compaq servers was based upon a couple instances where
proprietary components simply were not available for one of their older (3
years) servers and when they were found, the price was simply outrageous
...but you paid or died ...one experience left a client down for more than a
week whose entire business was computer based while Compaq searched
everywhere for the part according to them ...I finally found it through a
desperation plea on another list ...the client bought all new Dell Servers
two months later and I've never even considered using Compaq again ...with
Dell Servers, I can if necessary use ANY OTS component in an emergency and
it will work ...and Dell will continue to honor the rest of its warranty.

...this is of course just my experience ...others evidently have reason to
see it differently :)

William Hindman
<http://www.freestateproject.org> - Next Year In The Free State!