[dba-Tech] MS Server software and CALs

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Jan 14 20:50:59 CST 2004

On 14 Jan 2004 at 21:27, John W. Colby wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a clear, understandable read of what an OS CAL is and
> why I need it?  IOW, I understand a CAL for SQL Server for each user, but
> each workstation already has Windows XP Professional installed on it, the OS
> is paid for, why do I need a CAL for the Server's OS?

Because you have to pay for everything (person/device) that accesses
the Server's resources.

See http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/lic_cal.mspx

> Likewise, my client is currently at about 40 employees.  Would SBS 2003
> Premium be a good choice.  As I read it, this version comes with SQL Server.
> I am assuming here that the $100 / user CAL includes the rights to use SQL
> Server for each user?  This appears to be less than just the CALs for SQL
> Server purchased as a separate package.  What's up with that?

As long as he won't go above 75 connections *and* won't ever  want to
run more than one Server, SBS is a good deal.  (Speaking
comparatively of course - "good" compared to other MS licencing
schemes <g>)

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg