[dba-Tech] Linksys WRT54G andD-LinkDWL-520+incompatibilitypuzlle...

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Thu Jan 29 08:32:09 CST 2004

Great to hear it works...

About that distance, welcome to the club of disapointed people...
My Wireless router (SMC) says 70 to 80 meter inside...
At 10 meter I have intermittend connection....

Some say thoses distances are only for typical (wooden) American homes
and not for European/Russia brick/concreet homes.

I recently read a test of multiple wireless routers and it seems most of
the manufactors are saying way to much in there specs. Typical distance
and bandwith are much to high on paper than in real live.
For example the encryption is such laugh.. The encryption itself is
fine, but the processor of the router is not powefull enough to support
much pc's/traffic. If I synchronise music files over wireless my router
hangs after sending a couple of 100MB. Just warm/overheated.. And there
is only 1 computer sending data.

But for the rest it is great to sit in my sofa with my laptop on my
lap...
Working in my bedroom is not posible (11 meters is one meter to much),
but hey who wants to work in his bedroom? Thats no place to be hot and
sweaty :-)

Erwin