[dba-Tech] XP Pro - Users - was Windows XP Home vs Pro

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jul 13 23:56:04 CDT 2004

On 13 Jul 2004 at 23:18, jwcolby wrote:

> I was talking with them though about getting my email there, using my
> username at their company.  They use an email server (exchange server I
> think) and Outlook whereas I use pop mail from my web server and Outlook.
> Thus I need to connect to the Exchange server at the client, but to my Pop
> server everywhere else.
>
> His suggestion, which sounds appropriate is to create different users.  I
> log in as a specific user (on my laptop) when at their site, and another
> user at home and elsewhere.  This would allow me to set up their printers,
> outlook to attach to their exchange server, mapped drives, printers etc for
> that user, and a completely different set for home office.
>
> Does this sound correct?  I am soooo ignorant about this stuff it is almost
> embarrassing.  I have always just had a single user on my machines.

Yep, spot on.  Just make sure that you change the Logon Domain as well as the
Username on the logon screen when you switch between that site and elsewhere.

Depending on how you normally connect to your ISP and whether or not the site
uses DHCP, you may have minor issues with IP addressing in the initial setup,
but nothing showstopping.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg