[dba-Tech] Opera memory usage

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jul 28 09:57:36 CDT 2004

Francisco,

You are correct, FireFox seems to handle this stuff way bettered than Opera
does.  I had Opera up to 120mb this morning, just from some browsing I was
doing last night.  Opera does continue to climb as you load the same page
over and over.  For example I use web banking.  As I load that page the
memory grows.  Go into a menu the memory grows, go back to the main summary
page, the memory grows etc.

Firefox does NOT do that, and in fact (I tested this) on my machine simply
stops growing at all at about 57mb of total memory use.  That in and of
itself is a huge reason to select Firefox over Opera.  I must say at the
moment I prefer Opera's user interface over Firefox.  I like the persistent
bookmarks window that you can open off to the left hand side that provides
an "always visible" tree of bookmark folders.  Of course I have a new laptop
with a 1200x800 screen with extra width to use this feature.  It would
probably not be as useful at the normal CRT screen resolutions.

I also like the wand that allows me to record username / password for a
given page and just click the button to apply them.  In the end though, a
browser has to be a little thriftier with memory.  One of many reasons I
started looking for an alternative to IE was the fact that I'd have 3 or 4
copies of IE open, each using 30-40 mb or RAM.  That's just ridiculous.
Opera using 120mb is ridiculous as well.  If I could figure out how to cap
its memory usage I'd probably stick with it.  If I can't I will likely move
on to Firefox and get used to its user interface.